Ensuring only web browsers can access your website
InfinityFree is a website hosting service. That means that the hosting accounts we provided are intended for hosting websites. Websites contains pages which are accessed through web browsers. InfinityFree is not intended to be used for file sharing, API hosting, database hosting or background tasks/tools.
This security system also helps to protect your website against (malicious) bots. However, some functions of some applications won’t work correctly because of this system.
Which features are not supported?
Because of this security system, the following things will not work correctly or at all on websites on free hosting.
- Access through Android or iOS mobile apps (mobile browsers work fine).
- API access to websites (like WordPress XML-RPC).
- Access from cURL or other command line clients.
- Website code validators and SEO checkers.
- Domain ownership verification checks which look at website URLs or HTML code. Some webmasters tools and ad networks do this.
- Let’s Encrypt and websites providing certificates through Let’s Encrypt (like sslforfree.com or zerossl.com).
- AJAX requests from other websites (CORS). AJAX requests are only possible on the same (sub)domain.
- Hotlinking and embedding images and other (static) files on other websites.
Which errors can I expect?
When trying to access your website with an unsupported client, you may see one of the following errors:
- 403 Forbidden
- No ‘Access-Control-Allow-Origin’ header is present on the requested resource
How does this security system benefit me?
The main advantage of this security system is that it’s very effective at blocking bad bots from accessing your website. There are many malicious crawlers on the internet who are searching for security problems to hack your website, rapidly guess login details to try and access protected sections in your website or hammer unprotected forms to send spam. This security system stops almost all of them.
Those malicious bots could also use a lot of server power, which can cause your website to be suspended if you use too much of it. So this security system helps to make sure that regular, legitimate website visitors can access your site without any problems.
Can search engine crawlers still access my website?
If you suspect your site is not being indexed correctly by search engines, you may wish to sign up for the Webmasters service from search engines like Google and Bing. From there you will be able to see if the search engines have any problems accessing your site.
Can I disable this security system?
No, this security system is mandatory on all websites and cannot be disabled.
If this security system means your website or application does not work as expected on InfinityFree, please consider to moving your website to premium hosting. On premium hosting, this security system is not present (your website will be protected in less obtrusive ways), so you can access your website through other clients which are not browsers (like mobile apps, automated verification tools, etc.).