How to verify your website in Google Webmasters
Google Webmasters is a useful tool to help you learn about how your website is being crawled by Google, as well as change settings as to how Google indexes your website.
However, before you can view that information, you need to verify your website for Google Webmasters.
How to add your website to Google Webmasters
- Go to Google Search Console and sign in with your Google account.
- Click Add Property and enter the URL of your website.
- Choose verification method Domain Name Provider.
- Select the domain registrar Other from the list.
- Click "Add a CNAME Record" at the bottom of the page.
- Login to your client area and click Login to Control Panel next to the account you want to verify.
- In your control panel, go to CNAME Records.
- Select the domain name to verify in the dropdown.
- Copy the value from "CNAME Label / Host" from Google Webmasters to the SOURCE field in the control panel (only the random characters, not your own domain name!).
- Copy the value from "CNAME Destination / Target" from Google Webmasters to the TARGET field in the control panel (the entire domain name, including the googlehosted.com part).
- Click Verify.
If you're lucky, the verification is completed immediately. If not, it can take a few hours for DNS propagation to pass and the new CNAME record to be visible. If so, you can regularly retry to verify the domain, the verification should complete within a day.